This past Monday, Roy and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary. Both of the cards we wrote to each other mentioned how quickly the time has gone, and how we are both amazed that it has already been two whole years since we said "I do"!
I had to work Monday and the weather is deathly hot right now, so we decided that instead of going anywhere for our anniversary, we'd take a trip to San Antonio in the fall when it cools down a bit! So anticipate some awesome blogging on that trip in a few months.
We had heard about a bed and breakfast in Greenville, TX that provides their place free for seminary students, missionaries, pastors, and others in ministry. We decided that it would be nice to check it out for the weekend and save up our money for San Antonio! So Friday after I finished up work, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed out to Greenville.
And we arrived at The Hiding Place.
We were met by a friendly face that welcomed us to her home (and ours for the weekend!). Our room was about as Texas as Texas can be! We enjoyed all the fun decor. Even our bathroom was decked out in Texas towels. We had the front of the house all to ourselves, which included the bedroom, a living room, and a dining area. There were also movies in the hallway that we were welcome to watch. We were given a key to the front door and told the front porch was ours for the weekend as well. To top it all off, a plate of delicious cookies were on our dresser!
After getting settled in, we headed in to town to grab a treat at Braum's. Sometimes I consider trying something new, but we almost always end up sharing a large vanilla mix with Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. It's just too good for words. With happy faces and happy stomachs, we headed back to The Hiding Place for the night.
Saturday morning we headed out to the dining room for breakfast. We were served a delicious meal of Dutch babies, bacon, a side of fresh fruit, and orange juice. Scrumptious!
We knew the day was supposed to be in the mid to high 90s, but we just can't resist a chance to go birding. We drove out of town to a prairie on a gravel road. The prairie was quite overgrown, but we kept driving, keeping our eyes peeled for birds on the wires and fences. We saw many birds, some old favorites and even a new one or two. For pictures and info on the birds, you can see the posting on my birding site.
Other than the birds, we enjoyed the wildflowers and fields. I especially liked the thistle and the fields of wheat.
We headed back to town and stopped at TaMolly's for lunch. They had warm and thin tortilla chips, just like we like them. We spent the afternoon back at The Hiding Place watching movies and relaxing. When dinnertime came around, we thought we'd try a pizza place we saw in town boasting of being "Voted the #1 Place for Pizza" in the county. However, when we walked in and saw that the lowest priced pizza on the menu was $15.50, we decided against it, for our budget's sake! We ended up with Little Caesar's (you know Roy was disappointed... NOT!) and took it back to the house to watch a movie, Clear and Present Danger. You can't go wrong with Harrison Ford! After the movie, we had to hit up the local Dairy Queen for their 1/2 off treats day! They even had my absolute favorite - Brownie Batter Blizzard. We split one and decided that was all the food our stomachs could manage for the day!
The next morning we slept in, watched Federer lose to Nadal in the French Open (again), and had brunch at Cracker Barrel before heading back to the city.
After work on Monday, we celebrated the actual day by going out to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! We were armed with gift cards and a coupon for a free slice of cheesecake that made our evening out free! I also found a bouquet of roses surrounding by baby's breath waiting for me when I got home from work! Definitely a great way to end the day!
Two years have gone by so quickly, and I'm loving it. Married life isn't everything I thought it would be... it's much more. There are definitely difficult times, but it's wonderful to have someone to go through them with. Life is good when you get to live each day with your best friend in the world.
God has taught me a lot this last year, especially about being thankful and trusting Him. I'm learning in my marriage and life how to rejoice in all things, being grateful for all that God has done and is doing and will do. Ultimately, He's using my marriage to Roy to make me more like Jesus. Roy says he sees it. And some days I get a little glimpse of it too. I just pray He gives us many more years together that our love will grow between us and with Jesus.
Roy, I love you and am blessed to be your bride. You are more than I could have ever asked for or dreamed of, and I'm proud to call you mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment